On January 2, 1786, Russell County was established from a section of Washington County. L.P. Summers, a Washington County historian later wrote, “Washington County lost a great extent of country and many valuable citizens when Russell County was formed.”
The county was named for Colonel William Russell, who assisted in the drafting of the Declaration of Independence. The first court met in May of 1786 in the Castle’s Woods settlement (present-day Castlewood) in the house of William Robinson. Later, a new place was built to house the County Seat. The structure used as a courthouse still stands, and is referred to as “The Old Courthouse.” The present Courthouse, located in Lebanon, has been in use since 1874.
Russell County has had a prosperous past and present. It promises to have a prosperous future. Russell County — what a great place to be!